This guide specification is intended to be used by projects with a defined target for air tightness and testing to verify it has been met.
AIR TIGHTNESS TESTING
The air permeability of the building envelope shall be tested according to AS/NZS ISO 9972:2015. The building shall be prepared for the test in accordance with AS/NZS ISO 9972:2015 Method 1.
Testing shall be performed by an ATTMA Registered Air Tightness Tester. The valid test results must be submitted to ATTMA Lodgement for verification and the Registered Certificate of Air Permeability Test must be issued with the report.
DESIGN AIR PERMEABILITY
The Design Air Permeability (DAP) of the conditioned building envelope is:
- X.X m3/hr at 50 pascals per m2 for this project
The air permeability shall be tested and verified to be less than or equal to the DAP.
If the test fails to reach the DAP, contact client or head contractor for retesting after rectification (additional costs may be incurred).
Envelope dimensions shall be calculated according to AS/NZS ISO 9972:2015. Guidance for building envelope calculations is available from ATTMA TSL1.
Building height (from ground to top of conditioned envelope) X.X m
Conditioned envelope area XXX.X m2
Gross conditioned floor area XXX.X m2
Building volume XXX.X m3
Air tightness testing Scope of Works
- Testing of the envelope in either depressurisation or pressurisation
- Measurement and verification of the envelope dimensions
- Preparation of the building envelope for testing
- Supply and operation of equipment to perform the test
- Final compliance certificate with ATTMA certification and equipment calibration certificates.
Here is an example of a specification for air tightness and air tightness testing on a residential project: